Okay, so I don’t really have a topic for this week’s blog. I have a few things to cover, but nothing really to focus it around, so I guess it’s a status report, sort of?
- The Merrimack Event, Print Edition: Still in progress. I just had to order my (personal record-breaking) fourth print proof, though I would have approved the version I got from the third if Createspace had let me (long story as to why they won’t, but it’s boring and will provide no real insights into the printing process, so why bother?)
- My great-uncle passed away last week. I didn’t know him well (I’d seen him a few times, but it was hard to visit him), but he and my mother were very close. He was the last of my grandmother’s eleven brothers and sisters (they had a big family in those years) and the family patriarch. We weren’t able to attend the funeral because we couldn’t make travel arrangements in time.
- KDP Print service is improving. While they still don’t have expanded distribution (they note that this should be available at some point), they are now offering print proof and author copies. That actually makes them a viable POD printer IF you don’t care for expanded distribution. Maybe I’ll finally put together “This Book Cannot POSSIBLY Make Any Money” and test it out through them. (I’m pretty busy with things, but again — putting that book together shouldn’t take any time away from writing my other books. It might take time away from writing this blog, however. *sigh*
- It’s sounding more and more as if I’ll need both a new editor and a new cover artist for the Law of Swords series. I hope to find an artist who can match Alex Kolesar‘s art style for the cover, but I’ll also need to focus on getting my House Style Guide ready to send to whoever the new editor turns out to be. Again, I’m hoping to complete this without taking time away from my novel writing, but I’m still trying to figure out how to do that.
- By the way, speaking of Law of Swords, I’m FINALLY able to start working on the next book in that series again. I had to set the book aside half-finished to work on A Gun for Shalla (my contribution to the Worlds Enough: Fantastic Defenders anthology). Right after that, I got tied up working on The Merrimack Event. In Division Imperiled (working title) is half-finished; maybe I’ll be able to at least get it out to the editor (whoever it is) by the end of the year?
- By the way, my aStore replacement was a bit buggy when I mentioned it during my last blog post (it was timed to go live at the same moment as the blog post did; unfortunately, the actual site didn’t look anything like the preview did, and some of the items couldn’t be clicked on or ordered). The bugs have been largely ironed out, and a few more books were added in since then. I’ll note it, here, whenever I add new books. (it seems the new page is already more successful than the aStore was; not a huge feat, as I only ever sold two things through the old aStore and it was horribly out-of-date, but notable).
- I recently received an interesting book-related offer in my e-mail. Nothing as exciting as a TV\Movie deal offer (I wish!), but intriguing nonetheless. I’m currently running a few background checks to ensure the outfit contacting me is legitimate and not a scam, but I certainly need to consider it if they pass. I’m being vague because I haven’t agreed to anything, yet, but I’ll probably talk about it more, whatever decision I make.
And that seems to be it (or at least all of the things I can think of before this blog goes live). Until next time….