The Print Proof Has Arrived… But I’m Not Happy

Okay, so the print proof for “In Forgery Divided” has arrived (as of last Friday), several days ahead of schedule. It’s a huge book, and will take me some time to go through it: While not a true proofread in the sense most people use the term, I do have to look at every page and every line (I don’t have to actually read anything; I need to look at the first letter of each line, the kerning (space between words), the margins, the fonts, the widows and orphans, etc., just to make sure everything looks nice and legible).  I figure I’ll still be just half-finished when I get to Ravencon next weekend.

So why, as I said in the title, am I not happy with this fast service?  Well, there’s a defect, and I’m worried it’s symptomatic of a quality control issue that may force me to make a decision I’d rather not.

I wanted a matte finish cover; both of my previous books have been matte finish, and I like the look of matte finish covers (especially for Fantasy novels).  It was a great boon for self-publishers when Createspace started giving a matte finish option.

However, my cover arrived with a defect; the matte cover finish had a bubble in the lamination, leading to a discolored bar traveling from the top to the bottom of the front of the cover.

Now, I could let Createspace know about the defect, and from what I understand they’ll replace the book free-of-charge (at least, that’s what their reputation says; I haven’t needed to contact their customer service before).  I don’t really think I need to, however — this is a completely disposable copy that I’ll be marking up, anyway, so no big deal.

Except… I’m now hearing that this lamination issue is becoming increasingly more common with Createspace’s matte finish covers.  That worries me; I don’t want my customers buying defective books.  I don’t want to be buying defective books, either, when it comes to purchasing review, consignment, and giveaway copies.

So, I may have to consider a glossy cover, instead.  I need to order at least one more proof before I put it on sale (I learned you should never assume the electronic proof, even for the “second” proof, is accurate, after the cover for “The Kitsune Stratagem” turned out to be misaligned by less than a quarter of an inch after I was finished with the first proof, even though I never did anything to the cover.  So, from now on, if I make changes I order another proof), so maybe I’ll change it to gloss and see what I think.

There may not be a blog next weekend.  I will be attending Ravencon (my application was too late to be considered as a guest, but it’s always a fun and educational convention, regardless), so I probably won’t have time to post anything.

Edit:  I accidentally hit “post” instead of “save draft” when I was working on this on Friday.  Oops.  If you’re the one person who my statistics plug-in says saw this early, that’s why the post vanished on you.